In 1946 a young U.S. Navy World War II veteran, fresh off duty as a cook on a destroyer in the South Pacific, arrived on the south side of Chicago and opened a carry-out fried shrimp and fried seafood restaurant on south Archer Avenue. In keeping with Navy jargon, he called it the Ship Shape Shrimp Shack, and ship shape it was–sparkling clean or in “ship shape”.
His business philosophy was to serve the most delicious fried shrimp and seafood in Chicago at the least possible price, while still turning a profit. He was immensely successful and the business flourished for 30 years until health and family issues forced him to close the business in 1976.
In 1981 a neighborhood truckdriver whose family was for years in the food service business, with the help of the now old owner, reopened the business. Frank’s Chicago Shrimp house was born. The old owner taught the new owner, Frank, the shrimp and seafood business from the ground up…from buying the highest quality product…preparing it all by hand, cooking and serving it, all done in the cleanest conditions possible. Frank also wanted to serve the finest food for the best price, and once again, was successful.
Another outlet was opened 12 years later, embracing the same principals, and was also successful. Five years later, Frank’s daughters, who had both worked in the family business since their early teens, became full partners and have been running the business since 1997, serving the highest quality shrimp and seafood in the entire Chicagoland area (we claim our fried shrimp are the best in the world). We invite your opinion.